The temporary visitor to the US enters on a B-1 Visa (for business), a B-2 Visa (as a tourist or for pleasure) or as a B-1/B-2 (both for business and pleasure). When applying for a B-1 and/or B-2 Visa at a US Consulate or embassy outside the USA, the Consular Officer will need to be convinced of your non-immigrant intent and the purpose of your stay. This is strictly a short term temporary visa on which 'work' is strictly prohibited.